Love and Support

I am sitting here thinking about everything I could do and accomplish between the Disney College Program and Semester At Sea. I realized that I could have never seen this through with out Dad. Last fall, I kind of had a mini breakdown. I had some many things I wanted to do, but I was afraid of what I would miss out on here at WKU. I sent Dad an e-mail expressing my feelings. What I got in a response could not have been a more perfect answer. I thought everyone else should hear about the lesson he gave me:

"Hey, don't freak out, you are just experiencing life. If you really think about it, it is great that you have all of this opportunity and choices in front of you. You should always be so lucky. As for graduation, it is like I always say, "Don't let school interfere with your education." It doesn't matter if you graduate "on time" --- when is that anyway? You are in college to learn and be educated -- not just from textbooks -- but about life and living. Everything that you do contributes to your education -- the trip to Vokounland (the Czech Republic for you non hockey fans), this Disney thing, living out from under your parents roofs, making decisions for yourself. So what if you don't get a diploma in four years or even five, as long as you are learning and making good progress toward your degree, I am happy. Don't get hung up on timeframes, they will just get into your way.

As for the other stuff you might miss if you do the Disney thing: 1. It is impossible to miss your birthday, you just have to choose where and how you celebrate it. 2. As for Jess's wedding, maybe you can work it out with Disney so you can be there -- I would bet that it is do-able. 3. and ADPi -- doesn't sound like you are that into it but it is a choice you have to make. ADPi is not going anywhere -- you will still have next year (and maybe the year after...) to me, the Disney thing sounds a whole lot more exciting.

Anyway, give me a call if you want to talk further and you can vent to me anytime. Try not to stress out, factor in all of the information you have and make a decision. Just be true to yourself and you can't go wrong.

I love you,
Dad

Is that not the most perfect e-mail ever...maybe I don't give Dad enough credit
0 Responses