"Who's Your Daddy?"

10.20.09
SEA OLYMPICS!!!!
Today was probably the best day ever at sea. The sea was unnaturally calm. Center Hill is choppier than the ocean was today. It was kind of weird, but it worked. We grabbed some breakfast and then got ready for the SEA OLYMPICS. Everyone on the ship is divided up into a Sea depending on where their cabin is. The seas and their colors are as follows:

Andaman Sea – Orange
Arabian Sea – Purple
Balearic Sea – Pink
Dead Sea – Green (I find that this was made up of the faculty/staff and life long learners)
Labrador Sea – Blue
Lacadive Sea - Black
Mediterranean Sea – Yellow
Sargasso Sea – Gray/Silver
Yellow Sea – Red (Why the yellow sea’s color isn’t yellow I will never know)

Rosario and I decked ourselves out in purple. I borrowed a shirt and shorts from Mackenzie because I own exactly 0 articles of clothing that are purple. I also borrowed her bandana and we had face paint. We headed to the union for the opening ceremonies. My sea is one of the smaller ones, and not exactly spirited. It was like pulling teeth to get people to show up and cheer. The Andaman Sea, who had the obnoxious color of orange, were WAY into it. Plus, they are also one of the bigger seas.
We had a roll call where we had to do our team cheer. Ours was to the tune of “Eye of the Tiger”:

Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun Duuunn
Keep your eye on the fire
It’s the thrill of the knights
Rising up to the challenge of our rivals
And against our team there is no chance so survive
Cuz we’re conquering all as the Ahh-Rabiann Sea!

So not the best, but I like to think it was original. We had the opening ceremonies and the games began. There were many events going on at once. The first events were
-       Extreme Musical Chairs
-       Make Me laugh
-       Banner
-       Game Room (Scattegories, Pictionary, Scrabble)
-       Reverse Scavenger Hunt
-       Flip Cup
-       Pull-Ups
-       Synchronized Swimming
-       Volleyball
-       Water Pong

I started out at volleyball. We won our first match against Labrador. We had some games in between so I went and watched synchronized swimming. That was pretty much hysterical. All the teams didn’t actually do any synchronized swimming, but they were still very entertaining.
We played our next game against Mediterranean. We lost pretty bad so now I have strawberries on my knees for nothing. Although, the last game was actually competitive because we were playing all the San Diego kids so it was fine. It made me really miss volleyball though.
There was some time to kill before my next event – tug. Tug was intense, but not like WKU. But it was awesome because the whole ship got into it. We first pulled the Dead Sea and won. Our second pull was against Lacadive and we lost, but then we pulled Labrador for third and won. So I guess third is pretty good.
Afterward, we caught the end of the spelling bee in the union. We also ran into Bryan who told us that we took 4th in Make-Up Boy, which is where guys have to put make-up on a girl and whoever looked the best won. Then we all broke for lunch.
After lunch were a ton of events including:
-       Dean Byron Says
-       Popcorn eating contest
-       Dodgeball
-       Sweatshirt Medley
-       Human Knot and Lap Sit

I went and watched Dean Byron says to support Mackenzie. She didn’t do that hot. The people at the end went for so long. It was pretty funny to watch. Byron really enjoyed it. I stayed in the Union because I was also competing in SAS trivia. We totally got screwed out of like 5 questions. Needless to say, we didn’t make it out of the first round. I went up to Deck 6 and watched the end of water pong (basically beer pong, but with water). It was pretty crazy people got so into it. I can only imagine what they are like when they are actually playing beer pong. I stayed and watched until it was time for the relay race. Rosario and I were signed up to do the 3-legged race. The relay race was probably the most unorganized thing ever. It ended up starting 45 minutes late. Then we got screwed out of another part. It was just dumb. Also going on at this time was crab soccer and Hawaiian bowling.
After the relay race, I went and chilled in the union because I was competing in Don’t Forget the Lyrics. For the first round we picked our genre. Caroline picked rock and got “Livin’ on a Prayer” and got her question right. Then Kelli went and got “Glamorous” by Fergie. I got “Amazed” by Lone Star. We used 2 of our life lines, but we made it to the next round! By the end of the first round, only 2 teams had passed so we automatically got first or second! They had a play-off for the next 2 teams. In the end, it was the WOW’s (LLLs), Labrador, Sargasso and Arabian. We battled it out and Arabian Won! Caroline had our winning song with “Big Yellow Taxi” by Counting Crows.
Afterward, we all raced up to the 7th Deck for the BBQ. The food was SO good. Hamburgers, corn on the cob, and ribs! Oh man I wish we had food like that every night. The sunset we watched while we ate was unreal. It really was the perfect ending to a great day – smooth water, good competition, good food and a beautiful sunset.
I ran down and jumped in the shower before the closing ceremonies. Katie and I went up there and it was basically a big dance party. They played “I’m On A Boat” and that was awesome. Then MacGarrett announced the winners. Arabian Sea got dead last! Yep, last. Even the faculty/staff and life long learners did better than us. So we pretty much rocked the Sea Olympics haha. Andaman Sea won so they get to get off the ship first in San Diego. So I was slightly disappointed, but it was still an amazing day!



0 Responses