Check In Day!!

Check in day did not get off to a good start. I didn’t really sleep the night before. The whole bed at the hotel was down (which I am allergic to). So needless to say I didn’t get much sleep. I woke up about 6 (after not going to bed until around 1) and I couldn’t breathe and my throat and back hurt. It was pretty much awful. Dad was awake too so we just slowly got moving and then eventually got my bags packed and headed to port. We were one of the first people there since we were about 30 minutes early. I guess that is what happens when you can’t sleep. The ship did not dock until about 7 that morning so we had a little bit of a delay waiting for it to clear customs. It was coming from Norfolk, which is where they picked up the faculty. I kept looking for Charis and she finally showed up about 9:15 or so, Turns out that their flight on Delta was delayed and then canceled so they had to jump on an Air Canada flight and didn’t get in until about 4am. Their bags haven’t made it yet.
Once check in got started, I found out that I got bumped from Deck 2 to Deck 4! Score! That is a slightly bigger and more expensive room, but I still only paid like I was on Deck 2. I think they moved a lot of people out of Deck 2 because there are only 521 students rather then the 700 they were expecting. The only hiccup in security was that they took my duct tape ☹ Apparently it is not allowed on the ship, but I still haven’t figured out why.
Once I got onboard, I found my room and put my backpack, camera bag and computer in the room. SAS took my big bags and they were brought back to my cabin later.
I was able to find Charis on the ship and we just wondered around and met a few more people. We eventually had to go to our Orientation meeting. All the deans introduced themselves, as well as the other staff we will be working with. I got my assignment. I will be working in the career services office, which is basically coming up with seminars (nightly meetings that SAS does an different things). I am working with a guy named Mario, who is my supervisor, and we are the only ones in the office, but we will work with a lot of different offices. The neat thing is that this is the first voyage where this office has been established. So Mario and I basically get to make it our own and pass it on. A little about Mario – he is working on his Masters and is employed at Florida International University and lives in Miami, but originally from California.
After we were done with orientation, I went back to my cabin and unpacked everything. I have a lot more room then I thought I was going to. The sweater organizer thing that I got at Bed Bath and Beyond that hangs in the closet was the best decision ever. I got everything up packed and still had room for my roommate who I am assuming checks in tomorrow. I think her name is Rosario Rico or at least that is the name that was on the box that was in the room.
Dad picked me up and we went and explored Halifax. We walked down to the pier and walked around a bit. We got ice cream at Cows, which apparently is the best ice cream in Canada and in the top 10 in the World. It was pretty tasty. We also saw a bagpipe/drummer pair which I thought was weird but it sounded good.
I am now back in hotel taking advantage of the free internet while I have the chance. Dad and I are about to head back to the ship for the parent’s reception. I have to help check all 350 parents in and then I am free to go. I don’t know how long we are staying or even what this reception is about, but I guess I will find out.
I can’t believe we set sail tomorrow! The ship is beautiful, but it looks so tiny compared to the HUGE Carnival ship that is docked next to it. The Union, where we have Global Studies, isn’t as big as I thought it was and I don’t know how everyone is going to fit in there. I also got to eat lunch on the ship and everyone said ship food was gross, but I didn’t think it was that bad. But that is all I have right now. Update again when I get the chance!

0 Responses