"It's A Big Blue World!"


Fun Fact of the Day: There are two types of seasickness. The first type would be the normal throwing up and being sick to your stomach. The second kind happens in you ears. 3 tries as to the type that I got. The only way I know how to describe it is it is like flying in an airplane constantly and my ears are popping all the time. So basically it is super annoying, but I guess it is better then actually being sick.


First day of class was pretty uneventful. Global studies is really interesting. It is basically this guy standing up there and talking. While the topic is pretty interesting, I have no idea what I am supposed to be taking notes on. For example, I titled today’s lecture as “What does it have to do with egg consumption in China?” Apparently everything. Because eggs mean more chickens which means more grain, which means more water and everything just leads back to something else. Why I am concerned with whether or not the Chinese population is eating 100 or 200 eggs I have not yet discovered, other then the fact I will be there in a couple months. I am sure the point of it will soon become apparent.
Service Learning with Dr. Strenecky is going to be amazing. It is going to be a lot of work but it going to be really good. Dr. Strenecky is so passionate about it, it makes me want to go out and do something about it. He is asking us to bring in 3 items that really to about who we are. Other then a picture of the family I have no idea what to bring. Guess I will figure it out.
I spent most of the remaining afternoon on the back of Deck 6 reading the book for Global Studies. At some point, I took about a 20 minutes power nap. After finishing my reading, I headed back inside. I picked the wrong time to come inside. About that time, we hit a huge wave and I got thrown into the wall (luckily my laptop was not on that side) meanwhile, I saw another person fall out of their chair, two classroom doors come flying open and about 35 plates from the dinning hall shattered on the floor. It has been pretty smooth sailing, but this afternoon we were really rocking and rolling. It was really entertaining watching everybody try to walk. Everybody leans the same way and we all wobble down the hallways.
All the WKU kids also had a meeting with Dr. Strenecky tonight about the work we are doing for WKU while we are on SAS. I got put in charge of researching UVAs Honor Code. It will be interesting looking at UVA compared to BGA. We also got free WKU drawstring backpacks, a jumbo pack of Big Red gum, a new red towel, and WKU polo.
After dinner, I met with Mario to get the sign up sheets from the involvement fair so I could type up a contact sheet. We also went over a little more about what my role is even though I am still a little confused about it. The night ended by watching Finding Nemo, which I think it totally appropriate…..”It’s a big blue world…..”

0 Responses