"I Love Cheese!"


Orientation Day!! Whoo hoo! It was soooo boring. We had to be in the Union at 0900. The first thing they went over was the Honor Code (which was founded in 1847). Charis and I somehow found each other in the crowd and managed to eye roll at the similarities of BGA and UVA. For example, BGA’s honor code states “I pledge my honor as a lady that I have neither given nor received help on this work.” UVA’s says “I pledge as a student that I have neither given nor received help on this work.” I wonder if that is where BGA got the idea. Go figure BGA would plagiarize an honor code.
Moving along, We got a full run down on our Global Studies class, which is going to be ALL lecture. No power point. No anything except him standing at a podium speaking. The only saving grace is that all the tests are multiple choice.
The field office also spoke and went over the sale procedures for purchasing FDPs and other field courses. On sad note I got bumped from one of my trips in Spain so that kind of sucks, but oh well. I know have a $104 credit on my account that goes towards future purchases.
We had a break for lunch. Rosario and I ate in the main dining room, which we hadn’t eaten in before. It is really weird. We have waiters that come to our tables for our drinks and then we just leave our plates on the tables when we are done.
Once back at Orientation, we watched a 60 minutes clip about this professor at Harvard. The segment is called “The Eyes Have It” and if you can find it on you tube I suggest you watch it. It’s only about 15 minutes long.
It was Captain Jeremy’s birthday, so when we got up to speak about safety (again!) we all sang happy birthday to him. He spoke for so long about safety! He did talk about how in Fall 2004 where a kid fell overboard, but no worries he was pulled back aboard, but he was sent home at the next port.
I also met my cabin steward today. His name is Jesse and he is from the Philippines. He is the guy that cleans our cabin and basically takes care of us during this voyage.
Olivia, Rosario and I grabbed some dinner and then watched the sunset on Deck 6, It was pretty much amazing. We couldn’t watch the sun go all the way down because we had to get to the union by 1730 for the involvement fair. I signed up for a couple things, but then I had to go help Mario at the Career development area. There were a lot of people that signed up, but I think most just signed up to sign up and didn’t really care.
After the involvement fair, we had a “Sea” meeting at 2100. A “Sea” is like your hall in a normal dorm. Each deck is divided into sections and each section is a “Sea”. My Sea is the Arabian Sea and our color is Purple (at least it is not orange). The only down side is that I own nothing purple so I guess I am going to keep my eye out while I am in port.
We have to turn our clocks ahead one hour tonight, which sucks because we start class tomorrow (yes class on a Sunday) and I need all the sleep I can get. I am currently writing this from the piano lounge, listening to one of my super talented fellow students play. It is kind of crazy to think this is my life.

0 Responses