Pre-Morocco Reflection


My first taste of Africa. I really have no idea what to expect. This is my first Islamic country and I am a little nervous. Will I be harassed or pick pocketed? Will I be able to handle the markets and bargaining? What am I looking forward to the most is the camel trek. I mean come on – how many people can say that they have even been to the Sahara Desert, much less ridden a camel through it. Although, I don’t see how else you would get through it.
Since we are here during the month of Ramadan I really want to learn about the Islamic faith. I feel like the American media really try to villainize and sensationalize it. I mean only 18% of Muslims are Arab. It is also the fastest growing religion in the world. Another misconception is the veils that women wear. It originally started as a form of protection from men. By covering themselves, they did not draw any unwanted attention and therefore protecting themselves. They the American media says they are oppressing women. And the Taliban started because women were being raped. So when the Taliban came to power, they made women stay indoors, which pretty much guaranteed they wouldn’t be raped. Again the media misrepresents that.
One interesting thing about Morocco is that they were the first country to recognize the United States as a country in 1777. We also have the longest standing treaty of friendship with them. They speak French because they were a French colony. They consider French to be the language of business. Too bad I don’t know French. But I am ready to experience this country and everything it has to offer.

0 Responses